Massachusetts Registered Agent
Corporate Compliance by Local Corporate Guides®
A Massachusetts registered agent is a Massachusetts resident or business entity that maintains a physical street address in Massachusetts and accepts service of process on behalf of clients. A Massachusetts registered agent must be open during regular business hours to accept legal documents, and all documents must be forwarded to clients in a timely manner. Massachusetts state statute c156D § 5.01 defines and governs the duties of a Massachusetts registered agent.
What Do Massachusetts Registered Agents Do?
Massachusetts Registered Agents accept documents on behalf of your business in Massachusetts, get them to you fast, and keep normal business hours.
What Are The Requirements For Massachusetts Registered Agents?
Whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC), C-corp, or S-corp, the state of Massachusetts requires the same from its registered agents:
- A MA registered agent must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- MA resident agents need to have a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in the state of Massachusetts where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail. This location is called a registered office.
- Accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
Why You Need A Massachusetts Registered Agent:
- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all registered businesses to appoint a registered agent.
- The Secretary of the Commonwealth (SOC) will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- The registered agent requirement exists so the general public and SOC have a reliable way to contact your business.
Note: Some Massachusetts documents and codes refer to registered agents as resident agents—they fulfill the same duties and the names are interchangeable.
How to change your Massachusetts registered agent:
- File a Statement of Change of Registered Agent/Registered Office form with the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth (SOC). You can file this form online, or mail, fax, or walk it in.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly.
- It’s a simple process, but for more info, see our change your Massachusetts registered agent page.
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
Massachusetts Registered Agent FAQ
Who Needs A Registered Agent In Massachusetts?
Why Do I Need Northwest As My Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Massachusetts?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s corporations division will reject your business registration filing if you don’t. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Massachusetts?
We accept and scan all of our Massachusetts clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Pittsfield, MA in Berkshire County.
After You Accept Service Of Process, How Will You Get My Documents To Me?
When we accept a document on behalf of your business we will scan the docs from our office in Pittsfield within minutes to your online account. We created a registered agent infographic to illustrate our document delivery system.
Can I Have My Business’ Mail Delivered To Your Massachusetts Office?
- No. We want to help if possible, but we don’t want all of your business’ mail.
- If you don’t have a lease at our address, the postal service might not deliver your mail.
- As your registered agent in Massachusetts, things come directly to us—Northwest Registered Agent Service Inc.—care of you.
- If we do receive any mail for you, though, we’ll scan it to you in real time, in minutes.
Can I Use The Address Of Your Massachusetts Registered Office For Everything On My Business Filing?
Please do! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
How Do Massachusetts Registered Agents Get Served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you receive the documents your Massachusetts registered agent signs for on your business’ behalf, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired us, long before the server hands in their affidavit to the court, you’ve received your documents because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How to search for a Massachusetts registered agent:
- Perform a Massachusetts business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- Find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address in the search results.
If you want to legally notify a business through their Massachusetts registered agent service, just send a letter through certified mail directly to the registered agent at their registered office address.
How Do I Get Started?
Place an order for Massachusetts registered agent service. Access the forms you want to file. Read our instructions and filing tips. File your LLC or corporation filings with the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth. If you don’t want to make the filing yourself, place an order in your online account to have us do it for you. The Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth will process your filing. We’ll be your Massachusetts registered agent.
How Do I Get Registered Agent Service In Massachusetts?
You sign up online at the top right corner of this page.
We’ll become your Massachusetts registered agent service after you make your business registration filing with the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth.
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Massachusetts registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
We make it easy to add registered agent services in other states.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Massachusetts registered agent service or paying a bill, but for keeping up with Massachusetts corporate paperwork formalities like the Massachusetts Annual Report.